Special Events Assistant - Job Description
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) works toward curing Leukemia, Lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and Myeloma, as well as improving the quality of life of patients and their families. LLS is the world's largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world and provides free information and support services.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Special Events campaigns, such as the Students of the Year, Radiothon, Greek Life, and 3rd Party Events, all fund lifesaving research and support for people battling cancer.
This is an ideal position for a candidate interested in pursuing a career in non-profit, fundraising/development, event coordination and/or public relations while making a difference in the lives of people living with and affected by blood cancers. We are looking for an organized and creative self-starter who can manage multiple tasks and communicate effectively with a diverse audience. The person should have a strong work ethic, maintain attention to detail, and be able to work independently as well as a part of a team. Applicants who are proficient in Microsoft Office (including Publisher and Excel) and have some experience in event planning, marketing, customer service and/or fundraising are encouraged to apply.
Professional Development Opportunities:
• Opportunity to work alongside of professionals in the non-profit sector to gain knowledge and experience.
• Enhancement of marketing and sales skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Help organize, manage, and implement a silent auction.
• Help recruit and manage volunteers.
• Day-of event set up and implementation.
• Recruiting and retaining volunteers through phone calls, emails, and other forms of outreach.
• Assist with database entry, administrative and office duties as necessary.
• Maintains a working knowledge of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society mission and its programs to address them.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Assistant will work under the direction, supervision and training of campaign staff.
• Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills
• Organizational skills
• Self-motivated, independent, detail-oriented and highly organized
• Strong interpersonal skills and judgment